Twitter
Twitter's revenue has been a concern, they keep
posting loses each quarter. Yet VC's are still plowing money into the
company. They obviously believe Twitter is on the right track. How
they plan to monetize their business model is not apparent to anyone
outside the company. They examples of marketing campaign successes,
such as the Paramount summer blockbuster movie, Virgin mobile, and Audi,
are very exciting. It shows the potential to reach the right buying
audience in a short "act now" campaign. I love it.
In
the meantime as they work out creating more marketing campaigns and
building up their base of advertisers, they continue to build their
subscriber base. True. If their subscriber base wasn't so large and
rich in diversity, the campaigns wouldn't have worked. The campaigns
wouldn't have worked if there wasn't a joint effort to advertise them in
different medias. But what a success.
Lesson Learned:
I may not be crazy about Twitter, but as someone who knows the value of
marketing, I will stay involved and keep an eye on how this develops as
a marketing tool.
Blogging
Blogging, both
internal and external is another social media tool used by large
corporations, as in our business case study of DRK. I loved the
progressive and open attitude of Rangaswami. I also loved how he
allowed employees of various work groups to choose their OS system, PC
or Mac, and to choose their own programs. He called it a natural
selection process. I call that listening to your employees so they can
effectively get their job done. Love it.
Internal
blogging is something I wish other companies utilized. I'm always
coming up with efficient work arounds, new uses for programs to make the
job easier, and work processes to make the job easier. I would gladly
share this with others, and I have. My processes have become part of
company policies, used to customize programs, and helped others
streamline and organize their work. Some of those folks have worked in
their position 17 years and started adopting my methods. I bet there
are others out there with great ideas that could make everyone's job
better.
External blogging would be nice to see as
well. When blogging first became more popular among companies, they
would hire someone else to write the blog for the president, VP of X"YZ
or some other executive. You could always tell. That's not really the
intent of blogging, but if it makes them feel like their doing something
edgy, I guess it works. When Warren Buffet writes his annual letter to
stockholders, everybody is holding their breath waiting for the
letter. It is so meaningful for stockholders and non-stockholders to
hear what the financial genius of the 20th and 21st century has to say.
If he had a blog, imagine the traffic and visits to that blog! It
could be another source of revenue for Berkshire Hathaway. Hey, maybe I
can propose this to Warren and get a job managing it. I better study
hard in this course then.
Lesson Learned: Blogs
are effective collaboration tools and motivate employees. I also
learned that a leader can be bold and trust his employees to do the
right thing. I liked Rangaswami.
Nice post - and I like your idea - write Warren!
ReplyDeleteThanks Carleen. I'll have to finish class first to learn as much as possible. He would only expect my best and fullest understanding of Social Media.
ReplyDelete