Sunday, July 29, 2012

Personal Branding

Sima Dahl's presentation on personal branding was extremely important for all professionals.  It served as a great reminder that we all need to be constantly aware of what our brand looks like to anyone at anytime.  With the tools of Social Media and the speed of technology, our brand can be built or destroyed in incremental messages.  A post on Facebook, neglect on Twitter, or inactivity in LinkedIn can make  or break a personal brand. 

Just 5 minutes a day on LinkedIn to reach out to someone, leave a comment, update a profile goes far in building a personal brand.  That's easy enough to remember and easy enough to do.  It's already become my mantra.  I'm checking Twitter more often and seeing what content I can retweet, reply, or create.  Just 5 minutes.  I now check on Facebook, but I've been more careful of what I post there due to their not so private policy.  Which leads me to Google + .  If only I could get more friends to use this.

My little project is to create a Presume or a Slideshare as part of my resume and career search tool.  I will be posting this on my LinkedIn.  It something that conveys a couple of messages:  Darlene is skilled and aware of Social Media tools, she's up to date on the latest tools, she's creative, and has a fresh approach.  That should be a more interesting approach for recruiters.

No comments:

Post a Comment